Keep Calm and Write On

Posted by Arvi on Thursday, June 04, 2015
So I've been MIA, what's new? :)

It has been crazy busy the last couple of months, with my work mostly but I'm grateful that we were still able to keep our work-life balanced. And since it's summer, we made sure we'll have some family fun. There was one weekend when we visited Kidzoona and then for Mother's Day, we went on a road trip to Bataan. I'll save the details for my next posts because what I'll be sharing now is what I was doing in between.

For the month of May, I started a new hobby which is lettering and calligraphy. I've been stalking The Fozzy Book and other calligraphers online but I just couldn't find the right timing to start. Meanwhile on Instagram, I started seeing posts of different people writing the same phrases or quotes in their own styles. Each post was tagged #letteritapril, I got curious and found out later that it's called the Letter It challenge being hosted by @jennymaiedae. For May, I finally decided to join. :)

I started with some brush letterings using a watercolor brush and my ancient Prang watercolor palette from college. I then got a Cocoiro Pen with a fine tip and started scribbling with it. Here are some of my favorites from my #letteritmay challenge.

In the middle of it all, Mr. T gifted me with this Scribble Starter Kit from The Craft Central. Ok, so I actually told him that I would love to have it as a Mother's day gift but I asked him not to tell me if he was actually getting it so I'd still be surprised. Well, I eventually knew he got it and even found out when it was going to be delivered. But I was still squealing and screaming when I finally got it. :D

Using a dip pen for the first time was very intimidating but it made me feel like a legit calligrapher even if I was struggling. Lol. Initially, it was easier for me to use the straight pen holder, but after getting used to the oblique pen holder, I never bothered using the straight holder.

The challenge allowed me to practice different types and styles of lettering and calligraphy. Though I still need to research more, I've already learned and discovered a few things. Like how I don't like using felt tip pens, I love using a brush and watercolor more. There's one more thing I'd love to do, join a workshop. I just need to find a schedule and make time for it. For the meantime, I'll just keep practicing and hoarding stuff for this new hobby.

If you are interested as well, let's do this month's #letteritjune challenge shall we? You can also follow me @thehappymrst on Instagram or just search for my hashtags #letteritmayMrsT and #letteritjuneMrsT.

No comments:

Post a Comment