Beef Sukiyaki

Posted by Arvi on Wednesday, May 21, 2014
We love Japanese! :) But Mr. T likes the sushi, sashimi, grilled meat side of Japanese food while I love the noodles, soups, ramen and the rest that's in a Japanese menu. And since I am the one in charge of cooking, I cook what I like. Lol.

For today's recipe sharing, I will share with you my own version of Beef Sukiyaki. See, I still take into consideration Mr. T's preferences even if I cook dishes that are really not up for his taste buds. I cook them in a way that he won't mind if I cook them again. Hah! And of course, this recipe is also BLW friendly for my darling daughter of course. :)


Ingredients:

500g Beef (Sukiyaki or Breakfast Steak cut)
2 medium-sized Onions
1 medium-sized Carrots
1 can Shitake Mushrooms
1 Chinese Cabbage (Pechay Baguio)
50g Sotanghon Noodles
1/3 cup Kikkoman Soy Sauce
1/4 cup Mirin
2 liters Water (or Light Beef Broth)
Pepper
Cooking Oil

How to Cook:
  1. Sauté onion over medium heat. Wait till it's soft and cooked (but not browned) then put in the beef. Cook for about 5 minutes.
  2. Take out (strain) the beef and onion from the pan and set aside.
  3. With the beef broth still in the pan, pour in the water, soy sauce and mirin. Boil for about 5 minutes.
  4. Add the beef and simmer for about 2 minutes. Then add the sotanghon noodles and let it simmer until the noodles are slightly cooked.
  5. Add the carrots and mushrooms. Then add the cabbage and let it simmer for 2 minutes.
  6. Season with pepper.
  7. Serve and enjoy over a cup of rice. :)
*You can also add tofu to this recipe but unfortunately, I didn't have tofu available last night. The original recipe also calls for brown sugar but Mr. T doesn't like anything sweet for a main dish. The amount of soy sauce in the original recipe was at 1 cup (?) but since we're cutting down on salt for Ava, I reduced it to 1/3 cup instead. It's always fun to adjust recipes for you and your family's liking. Oh the joys of cooking. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment