Small Closet Organization Ideas

Posted by Arvi on Friday, August 08, 2014
I grew up sharing a room with my siblings, and we didn't have a walk-in closet, just a linear set of typical cabinets and drawers. I was initially allotted just a set of drawers since I didn't need a big closet space back when I was just in grade school. Uniforms, a few pieces of panglakad, and house clothes are just what I had back then. When I moved to Manila for high school studies, since we live in a very small apartment, I once again had just a set of cabinet to keep my clothes. Fast-forward to married life, I now share a closet with Mr. T.

When I was studying Architecture in college, I was introduced through drawings to the design ideas of walk-in-closets. It didn't matter much to me then until I actually started working and got to design residential houses with huuuge closet spaces. I really don't want a big walk-in-closet but I got interested with how organized a closet can be. Lol. I always had trouble keeping my closet tidy because they are always piled up, never hanged, because I get annoyed at seeing hangers in different shapes and sizes. So my shallow dream was to have my clothes organized on typical hangers.

That dream finally came true. :)))

Most organized our closet has been! :)))

Ta-da! Hahah! Ok, I knew I have a photo of our closet way back in its glorious (not) days. Lol. But I can't seem to find it. And out of excitement, I forgot to take a before photo before this overhaul. But believe me, this is a lot of improvement. The left side of the closet is majority of Mr. T's while the majority of the right side is mine. Here are a few of the things we did to organize everything.

Choose your hangers

Brown Plastic Hangers (88Php/Pack of 10) | Wooden Hangers (88Php/Pack of 5) | Compact Hanger with 4 Slots (88Php)

My side of the closet used to have three shelves. My clothes used to be just folded and piled. I asked Mr. T if we can put a hanger rod so I can just hang my clothes instead. As I have blogged recently, we got most of these stuff from Japan Home Wholesale Center  at discounted prices since they have a wholesale discount scheme. The small hanger rod was just 88Php, but Mr. T had to screw a small angular steel to reinforce the rod. The wooden hangers are for Mr. T's collared tops since they are the widest among our clothes. I don't like seeing hanger marks on clothes that's why we went for these wooden hangers even if they take quite a bit of space compared to the plastic ones. The plastic hangers are for Mr. T's shirts and my clothes. I got these simply because it's the thinnest and the only pack that came in 10's. We also got these compact hangers that we used for our bottoms and it's such a space-saver. It can hold four of Mr. T's pants and four to eight of mine (combination of pants, leggings, maxi skirts, etc.). Given the price of these items, you have to manage your expectations of course. The wooden hangers turned out to be just 20.90Php/pc. and the plastic ones just 8.36Php/pc. Of course you can also get similar ones at department stores or home stores but just at a higher price.

Maximize your closet space

House clothes and undergarments inside the drawers. | Short dresses in small organizers.

Folding your clothes this way not only saves a lot of space, but it also allows you to see all of your clothes instantly instead of digging a pile if it's folded the traditional way. Adding small organizers under your hanged clothes will also provide you with more usable space.

Arrange by Sets Based on Use

Seasonal Clothes | Beddings and Linens | Rugs
Our closet has three more cabinets on top. First cabinet is where we put the clothes that we only use every once in a while like sweaters, jackets, shawls, etc. Middle cabinet is where our bedding sets and towels go. Put your set of beddings inside one pillowcase to keep your sheets, this way, it will be easier to pick out the complete set once you're going to use them. The last cabinet is for our rugs and other stuff kept inside fabric bags. For rugs, doing the similar way of folding them in sets is also easier.

Get Stackable Organizers

Small Organizers

I love Muji and all of its organizing goodies. Now if only I can afford all of them. Lol. I got these organizers from Muji a couple of years ago and I love its flexibility, you can stack them up, just place them side by side on top of your dresser or inside your drawers.

So that's my closet project that I was finally able to finish. I hope you got a few tips from what I did in order to finally organize our stuff. Now I can move on to my next one. :)

8 comments:

  1. I love how organized your closet is! My goodness, our closet is a little bigger than yours, but I can't keep it organized. D: I will definitely try those stuff from Muji.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :))) We all share the same closet stories. :)))

      Delete
  2. I love how your fully-packed closet actually managed to stay neat! I hope it stays that way for a long time hehe. You're right about the hangers. I'm actually drooling over the Cath Kidston ones, but they're too expensive.

    PS: I love the whole look of your blog, too! (Now you have 4 statements in the comments beginning with "I love.")

    Maan
    www.davaomommy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure do hope it stays that organized all the time. :)

      Thank you for the love. ♡ My blog is actually still under development. I have a few more things that I want to change but I couldn't find time just yet. :/ Meanwhile, I'm glad you liked the feelof my blog even as it is. :)

      Delete
  3. MrC and I each have a relatively large closet, plus we have a set of drawers pa for the kiddo. And yet, I can never keep them organized! I think that I need to get rid of some stuff talaga. There's just too much going on, so it's hard to keep things in order. Hay, story of a hoarder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do sorting once or twice a year to get read of the stuff we don't get to use anymore. With a growing toddler, it's really a must. Otherwise, our closet will look like a bodega na. Lol.

      Delete