In the Kitchen: Crispy Kulitis

Posted by Arvi on Wednesday, August 14, 2013
If I have to choose which of the wife duties I love the most, I will pick cooking in a heartbeat. Just about anything that has something to do with preparing and making meals for my little fambam, I enjoy a lot. Probably because the hubee is such a foodie and the little miss A is looking like becoming one as well. Happy tummies equals a happy family. :)

While I have my typical go-to recipes, every once in a while, I would try and cook something new just to give our palates something different. Or sometimes, the folks will bring some fresh goodies all the way from Nueva Ecija - longganisa, fish but veggies most of the time. Just recently I learned how to eat Kulitis (Chinese Spinach) leaves so my dad would bring me some everytime they're in Manila for a visit.

The only way I know how to cook it is to sauteé with garlic, onion, tomato and mackerel or sardines. And since my dad brought heaps of these greens last weekend, I think someone will eventually complain if I cook it that way over and over again. So I thought maybe I can make a Crispy Kulitis just like the Crispy Kangkong. :)

And here's what I came up with.


Ingredients:

50 pieces of Kulitis leaves
(Choose the big ones, wash then lay flat on a plate)

For the batter:
1 cup All Purpose Flour
1 cup Ice Cold Water
1 Egg
1 cup Cooking Oil

How to cook:
  1. Start by heating the pan with the cooking oil.
  2. Combine the flour, water and egg then beat until the lumps of flour are gone.
  3. Hold the stem of the kulitis and brush both sides of the leaf in the batter until completely covered.
  4. Cook until it turns slightly brown.
  5. Remove from pan and transfer to a strainer lined with a tissue or coffee filter to absorb oil.
  6. Serve and enjoy. :)
I made two dips:
  1. Mayonaisse, dried oregano, dried basil, salt and pepper.
  2. Soy sauce, lemon, garlic powder and sesame oil.
Recipe adapted from Crispy Spinach Recipe by Panlasang Pinoy

No comments:

Post a Comment