Wrap Baby Wrap

Posted by Arvi on Saturday, March 29, 2014
UPDATE: Make sure you do a lot of research first when making a DIY wrap. After this post, I was able to learn more about DIY wraps. You can search Babywearing Philippines in Facebook to learn more.

I've been a baby wearing Mama ever since I became a mother to my beautiful toddler. She's almost 17 months old already, so that's about 16 months of baby wearing. :)

We got our very first baby pouch from the Mommy Mundo Christmas Bazaar back in 2012. Ava was barely a month old then and we braved the Christmas bazaar season in Powerplant. Amongst the baby carriers that we saw, I fell in love with the simplicity of Indigobaby's Baby Pouch. It was also a good decision to get the pouch right after I gave birth instead of ordering online because I was able to check the correct size for me and Ava. Apparently, if I followed the size chart, I would've gotten a wrong size. It is always best to try the (sized) carriers first before getting them because a wrong size can be uncomfortable and can make or break your baby wearing journey. We were yayaless during our first couple of months with Ava and I was doing household chores while attending to my newborn. Those include breastfeeding, cooking, cleaning and washing baby clothes. I don't think I would've survived if not for baby wearing. I guess I rubbed off some of my love for baby wearing to Mr. T because a few months later, we got an Ergo Sport for him thanks to our sponsor (aka Grandpa). It's a Soft Structured Carrier (SSC) with lots of buckles and straps, it was really perfect for him. Then I became a member of the online Facebook community called Filipino Association of Babywearers (FAB) and oh boy! Hahah! Fellow baby wearing parents with different types of carriers sharing tips and helping each other which made me learn a lot. That resulted to me getting another carrier called Saya. It's a hybrid type which is a lot lighter than Ergo since it is only made of very lightweight fabric.

Left to Right: 1 m.o. Ava in our very first Indigobaby Pouch | Ergobaby Sport at 5 mos. |
Our second Indigobaby Pouch at 5 mos. | Happy to be in our Saya at 7 mos.

Recently, I joined an international Babywearing DIY Advice and Support group and was so amazed with all the projects that the other moms were doing. So I decided to try and make our own that both Mr. T and I can use which is the wrap type.

Before I share with you a simple tutorial let me just remind you that you should always consider your baby's safety before making your own baby carrier. I figured a wrap is the safest type to do since it does not consist a lot of straps and buckles that require sewing which, when done incorrectly, can tear and cause accident to you and your baby. So please do your research first.

Our Baby Wrap in the making

A printed fabric and a jersey fabric.
1. Based on what I've searched, you'll need 6 yards x 30" wide of stretched fabric for a plain wrap. I chose a solid gray Jersey since it's lightweight, stretchable and does not fray around the edges. You can actually do a no-sew wrap just by using a stretch of Jersey fabric.

2. I got another piece of non-stretched fabric for the back support or accent. But you can do without it if you like your wrap to be plain and simple.

3. The standard width of the Jersey fabric was 60" so I got 3 yards and just cut it in half. I also cut the edges diagonally so it's easier to tie later. 

4. I then cut my printed fabric to approximately 30"x30" and a smaller piece 10"x10" for a pocket.

5. Since I don't have a sewing machine (yet), I sent these pre-cut fabrics to the seamstress with instructions on how I want them to be sewn.

Action shots of the hand sewn wrap before I sent them out for machine sewing.

It is important that you know exactly how you want the wrap to turn out so you can give very specific instructions to your mananahi. Here's how the wrap turned out.

Our very first DIY baby wrap.

And of course, the action shots. :D

I love how it turned out and it was love at first wrap. :) I wonder why it took me so long to finally try a wrap type of baby carrier. And oh, did I mention that Mr. T can use this as well. Hmmm.. looks like our other carriers are going to be stored for a while. Let's see. :)

Here are some quick tips for safe babywearing just in case you're interested to try it and you don't have any clue on where or how to start.

SOURCE: School of Babywearing

No comments:

Post a Comment